Custom Home Building Checklist
1. Buy land
The first step to building your dream home is purchasing a lot to build it on. Before purchasing a vacant lot, it is important to do some research:
- First, consider the community that you would like to live in or near.
- Take into account the accessibility and costs of electricity, plumbing and other utilities on that plot of land.
- Contact your county office or Homeowner’s associations to know the zoning and ordinance laws pertaining to your land as well as the required permits.
2. Consultation with a home builderSchedule a consultation with a custom home builder to discuss your needs. During the consultation, you will set expectations and learn about your builder. Be sure to work with a contractor that is:
- Licensed and reputable
- Transparent and flexible
- An experienced builder in your geographic area
3. Decide on an initial home plan designWork with your builder to settle on a preliminary design for your home. This can be based on pre-existing plans, but a truly custom home builder will customize those plans based on your individual requests.
4. Customize the home planDiscuss the possibilities of customizing your home plan to your needs. Work with your home builder to design your dream home and discuss the costs and build times based on that design.
5. Agree on a fixed-price contractEnsure that your contract is set to a fixed-price. This protects you from unexpected costs or hidden fees due to inexperienced contractors’ estimates or dishonest builders. A fixed-price contract offers transparency and peace of mind.
6. Building the homeThe builder will then carry out the construction process based on the signed contract, keeping you updated along the way. The build steps may include the following:
- Lay down the foundation
- Framing of the home
- Heating, ventilation and cooling
- Drywall and interior
- Final adjustments
7. Move in to your new homeOnce the construction process is complete and payment has been delivered according to your fixed-price contract, you are ready to move into your new custom home! With each detail handpicked and carefully constructed by experienced home builders, you’ll love your new home.
Contact us today to learn more about us, or schedule a free consultation to start building.